The NSF Mathematical Sciences Institutes have formed a committee with the goal of joining together in their efforts to support the participation of underrepresented groups in the mathematical sciences, including women, underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities. This page is intended to facilitate that participation by providing links to various opportunities.
Math Institutes Diversity Workshops and Conferences
Cultivating diversity and broadening participation of historically underrepresented groups in the mathematical sciences are national goals that are identified by the National Science Foundation as essential components of the innovation engine that drives the Nation’s economy. There is no “one size fits all” to increasing participation from underrepresented groups so the committee has come together to sponsor the following conferences and workshops that aim to address representation.
Modern Math Workshop, preceding the SACNAS National Conference, is intended to encourage minority undergraduates to pursue careers in the mathematical sciences and to assist undergraduates, graduate students and recent PhD’s in building their research networks. It is sponsored by all NSF math institutes.
- 2019 organized by MSRI
- 2018 organized by SAMSI
- Oct 19-21, 2017 organized by ICERM
- Oct 12-13, 2016 organized by IPAM
- Oct. 28-29, 2015 organized by MSRI
- Oct. 15-16, 2014 organized by SAMSI
- Oct. 2-3, 2013 organized by ICERM
- Oct. 10-11, 2012 organized by NIMBioS
- Oct. 26-27, 2011 organized by IPAM
The Blackwell-Tapia Conference honors two seminal figures who inspired a generation of African-American, Native American and Latino/Latina mathematicians. This biennial conference showcases mathematical excellence by minority researchers and awards a prize to a mathematician who has contributed significantly to research in his or her area of expertise and has contributed significantly to addressing the problem of underrepresentation in the mathematical sciences.
- 2018 organized by ICERM
- 2016 organized by NIMBioS
- 2014 organized by IPAM
- 2012 organized by ICERM
- 2010 organized by MBI
- 2008 organized by SAMSI
- 2006 organized by IMA
- 2004 organized by IPAM
- 2002 organized by MSRI
Spring Opportunities is a workshop designed to familiarize women and underrepresented minorities in the mathematical sciences with professional opportunities in academia, industry, and government; and address specific challenges currently faced by members of these groups.
- 2020 organized by SAMSI
- 2018 organized by AIM
- 2016 organized by SAMSI
- 2015 organized by IMA
- 2014 organized by NIMBioS
- 2013 organized by IMA
- 2012 organized by MSRI
- 2011 organized by IPAM
- 2010 organized by IMA
Infinite Possibilities, a program of Building Diversity in Science, is a national conference that is designed to promote, educate, encourage and support minority women underrepresented in the mathematical sciences at all stages of the pipeline, from high school to early career faculty. As part of the conference, we sponsor short courses that introduce participants to exciting areas in mathematics.
Other Diversity Links
Organizations & Associations
- Association for Women in Math (AWM)
The math institutes sponsor the AWM Mentor Network
- Building Diversity in Science
- Alliance for Doctoral Studies in the Mathematical Sciences
- Math Teacher’s Circle Network
- National Association of Mathematicians (NAM)
- Society for Advancement of Hispanics/Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Alliance for Building Faculty Diversity in the Mathematical Sciences
- Diversity Program of the American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- NSF Broadening Participation
- AWM-ADVANCE Project
- Program for Women and Mathematics.
This intensive mentoring program, sponsored by the NSF, is for undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral women in mathematics. It takes place at IAS and includes lectures, seminars, and panel discussions on a wide range of topics of interest to women mathematicians.
- AWM Research Conferences
- Conference for African American Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences
- Field of Dreams Conference
- Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in Mathematics
- Graduate Research Opportunities for Women
|Diversity Committee Members|
|William Yslas Velezfirstname.lastname@example.org||IAS/PCMI|
Math Institutes Diversity Links
Each institute has a range of events and programs that address underrepresentation in the mathematical sciences. You can find more information on the sites given below.